Skip to main content

​​​​​There are a number of key government agencies involved in investment or development in Western Australia.

These agencies include:

  • Planning: Matters related to local planning schemes, subdivisions and planning policies are handled by the Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage. For a list of all the local councils in WA regarding local approvals see the WALGA Council website.
  • Liquor Licensing: For the service of alcohol in an establishment, a premise needs to be issued with a 'Liquor License' through the Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries.
  • Crown land: If you are developing on Crown land, contact the Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage.
  • National Parks: If your development is within a National Park, State forest or other similar reserves, contact the Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions.
  • Austrade: Austrade helps to develop international markets, attract productive foreign direct investment, promote international education, strengthen Australia's tourism industry and seek consular and passport services.

When investing or developing in WA, several processes must be followed as the development of tourism products, attractions and amenities often involves securing a variety of different government approvals and regulatory requirements.

Tourism WA can arrange introductions to other government agencies to ensure the correct processes are followed and to help advance a project.

For more information , contact Tourism WA's Destination Development Division on (08) 9262 1700.

Federal support is also available through the Tourism Major Project Facilitation service. This service was developed for proponents of significant tourism investments to provide guidance through both Australian and State or Territory government approvals processes.

Last Reviewed: 2020-04-15