Taste 2020 - A strategy for food and wine tourism in Western Australia for the next five years & beyond is a multi-agency and industry food and wine strategy aimed at establishing WA as one of the world’s foremost culinary tourism destinations.
The State’s world-class food and wine already attracts 400,000 ‘gourmet travellers’ each year.
Through the Taste 2020 initiative, the State Government will work with the wine, boutique beverage, agriculture, fishery and tourism industries, to market the State as an extraordinary culinary holiday destination.
Taste 2020 includes initiatives to:
- create the right regulatory environment to help the food and wine tourism industry thrive;
- improve service with hospitality workforce development programs;
- encourage tourism accreditation and develop a new food and wine tourism module;
- develop tourism training programs for farmers interested in diversifying;
- develop and promote culinary trails;
- support and develop Aboriginal cultural experiences with a culinary element;
- grow Margaret River Gourmet Escape into one of the world’s leading food and wine festivals; and
- develop other food and wine festivals and promote a calendar of culinary events.
Taste 2020 was developed by Tourism WA in conjunction with the departments of Regional Development, Agriculture and Food, and Fisheries and the tourism and hospitality industry following extensive research and community consultation.